Twizzler's Magic

Twizzler's Magic
Sarah and her first horse

Saturday, November 13, 2010

When things just seem meant to be

I was looking for wagons for my friend Margo on Craigslist last week, when I came across an ad for a curly.  I was rivetted to her.  I showed Greg and he didn't try to dissuade me at all, he wast just ..silent (with Greg, that can be a encouragement).  I emailed and told them about us and our journey.  When they got back to me, they told me someone else had spoken for her but they said it sounded like I would have been perfect for her. I was so disappointed.  Later that same morning, I got another email and then a voicemail, asking me to call, because the other woman had backed out!  Margo had mentioned that a friend had a trailer heading home from California and we may even be able to get her to pick the horse up if we liked her and I remembered that she offered if I found one that way. Everything was clicking into place. 
So we made arrangements to go on Veterans Day.  Karen, the Worley Postmaster,  and I left at 5am and made our way to Sultan, Wa 6 hours away.The closer we got, the more beautiful the country was. 
When we got there, Chris was so hospitable. She was such a kind lady.  She introduced us to the horses and immediately, "Rosie" and I established a relationship. She loved to be petted and fawned over.  She wanted to be the center of attention but when I decided to test our new "relationship" and walk away, she left the herd and followed me at every turn.  There was no halter, no treats.  Chris and Karen commented that she had picked her "human".  That was a defining moment and I knew, this was my horse. 
Rosie was beautiful, but her spirit unbelievable.  She has a major presence being 15hh and stout, but an unbelievable calm about her.  She was not pushy, was very aware of your space and let you do anything you wanted to her.  She is a sorrel with a blaze and a long mane and tail.  Her curls are appearing in "S" shaped waves down her neck and body.  Everything about this horse seemed right.
When we went to leave, Rosie followed us to the gate and Chris walked us to the house and offered us a place to wash up and then made us lunch.  This was the first time, in all the places I have gone to see curlies that we were offered lunch.  Karen and I enjoyed talking with Chris so much and she was so gracious.  Even if we had decided against Rosie, it would have been a worthwhile trip.  But I am so glad it worked out the way it did.
On our way home, I called Greg and let him know about our excursion.  He asked alot of questions and was very open.  He joked about how the "negotiations" were just beginning.  Once again everything felt right.  When I got home, I put a quick post on my Facebook page, "Today was a great day, hopefully tomorrow will be a good one too".  In the morning, we talked some more and he listened to my stories of Rosie.  As I was walking to my car to go to work, my phone alerted me to a new comment to my FB post..it read "Today is a great day, go for it girl!" from Greg.  Gotta love that guy!
I wanted to get ahold of Cindy before I committed to make sure she could still get Rosie home.  When she got back with me, the news was not what I had hoped for.  They were coming thru southern Idaho, instead of through Oregon and Washington.  Since that was part of my "salespitch" with Greg, I still needed his approval.  If this was to happen, I had to do everything right so I had no regrets.  When he finally called me back, he told me to commit to Rosie; that this was the right one, we would work it out.  I almost cried! 
I have seen alot of curlies over the last 6 months and being the impulsive one that I am, have wanted to bring almost all of them home.   I am thankful for a husband who has sorted through the options and helped pick the ones that were right to join our family.
I went to see Twizzler at Margo's Friday and also show her pictures I took of Rosie.  As we were sitting there, Twiz raced through the pasture, kicking up her heels, bucking and rearing.   She was playing!  I could watch that all day long.
Greg was right....it was a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment